On 4/4/13 7:07 PM, Ted Lemon wrote:
On Apr 4, 2013, at 7:44 PM, Richard Roy <dick...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
[RR>] As I am sure you know, privacy is a cross-layer issue.  Any layer that
compromises privacy, compromises it for the user/ITS station.  That said,
FNTP/WSMP replace the IP layer with a different albeit null) networking
protocol (essentially a simple port mapping protocol that has as few as 3
bytes of protocol "overhead") designed to be small and efficient and
tailored to the simple single-hop broadcast over capacity constrained RF
channels.
So that possibly makes sense internally to the car, although possibly not.   It
doesn't make a lot of sense to me between cars, except perhaps in the most
restricted applications.   When you talk about capacity constrained RF
channels, it sounds like you're talking about car-to-car traffic, or
car-to-infrastructure traffic.   But this constrained port mapping protocol
sounds way too restrictive for either of those contexts.
neither 802.11p or generic wifi are particularly capacity constrained.