>> IP addresses are designed as topology locator, so that every packet can be
>routed to its network destination.
>>
>> However, even in IPv4 era, some network operators have mapped their IP
>address with certain semantic locally. These kind of mechanism explicitly
>express the semantic properties of every packet. Consequently, these network
>operators can inspect the properties of packets easily by mapping the
>addresses back to semantic.
>>
>> Network operators, who have large IPv6 address space, may also choose to
>embedded some semantics into IPv6 addresses by assigning additional
>significance to specific bits within the prefix.
>draft-jiang-v6ops-semantic-prefix documents a framework method that
>network operations may use their addresses with embedded semantics. These
>semantics bits are only meaningful within a single network, or group of
>interconnected networks which share a common addressing policy. Based on
>these embedded semantic bits in source/destination addresses, the network
>operators can accordingly treat network packets differently and efficiently.
>>
>> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-jiang-v6ops-semantic-prefix-03
>>
>> Could you please review this draft and comments? It will help the document
>become more useful information to be shared.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Sheng
>>
>I completely understand the desire for operators to have additional
>semantics available for customized packet processing. Flow label now has
>very limited properties optimised for load balancers. DSCP only has a
>few bits (way less than the number of customers' policies). ACLs are
>heavy to process at each hop....
>
>But wouldn't this information be better off encoded as tags in one or
>more hop-by-hop header options (that could be re-written on the fly),
>rather than encoded in the IPv6 address space?

The section 4.1 "Justifcation for Semantics with the IPv6 Prefix" describes the
reasons.

Users may easily change the setting of extension header in order to obtain
undeserved priorities/privileges. Semantic prefix approach does require the
deployment of access control filters. The packets with the noncompliance source
addresses should be filtered. The prefix is delegated by the network. Therefore
the network is able to detect any undesired modifications and filter the packet
accordingly.

Cheers,

Sheng