On Jun 6, 2013, at 03:39 , Sheng Jiang <shengji...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, this discussion has become far way from my original motivation of
> analysing semantic prefix mechanism. I am going to stop replying to the
> discuss regarding to the avaibilities of bits. In the future version, I will
> add the bits consumption as one of the pitfalls.
>
> By the way, ISPs are only one kind of network operators who are interesting
> in semantic prefix. Enterprise network operators are another group of network
> operators who can benefit from embedded semantics. And the enterprises do not
> have subscribers who potentially need extra bits.

Your use of the word "benefit" here is questionable at best. It is an example
of language that seems to encourage this use rather than evaluate it in an
unbiased manner.

"Enterprise operators are another group of network operators which may succumb
to this nasty pitfall of embedded semantics" would be  an equally biased
statement in the opposite direction.

I suggest that neutral would require something more along the lines of:

"Enterprise operators are another group of network operators which may choose
to embed semantics in their address prefixes."

Now, in terms of arguing the merits, there are significant differences between
these two. In the case of an enterprise operator, their choice to embed
semantics in the address has a limited scope of harm. It can only negatively
impact said enterprise.

In the case of an ISP, this can have significant consequences not only for the
ISP, but also for their downstream customers.

Owen