>> Yes, this discussion has become far way from my original motivation of
>analysing semantic prefix mechanism. I am going to stop replying to the
>discuss regarding to the avaibilities of bits. In the future version, I will
>add the
>bits consumption as one of the pitfalls.
>>
>> By the way, ISPs are only one kind of network operators who are interesting
>in semantic prefix. Enterprise network operators are another group of
>network operators who can benefit from embedded semantics. And the
>enterprises do not have subscribers who potentially need extra bits.
>
>Your use of the word "benefit" here is questionable at best. It is an example
>of
>language that seems to encourage this use rather than evaluate it in an
>unbiased manner.
>
>"Enterprise operators are another group of network operators which may
>succumb to this nasty pitfall of embedded semantics" would be  an equally
>biased statement in the opposite direction.
>
>I suggest that neutral would require something more along the lines of:
>
>"Enterprise operators are another group of network operators which may
>choose to embed semantics in their address prefixes."
>
>Now, in terms of arguing the merits, there are significant differences between
>these two. In the case of an enterprise operator, their choice to embed
>semantics in the address has a limited scope of harm. It can only negatively
>impact said enterprise.
>
>In the case of an ISP, this can have significant consequences not only for the
>ISP, but also for their downstream customers.

Hi, Owen,

I take this as much more useful discussion than bit availability. I share your
opinion that ISPs should be much more carefully as their will be consequences
for downstream customers, comparing to enterprise. These will be included into
the future version. :)

As a neutral analysis, it is fine to say there are benefits and pitfalls. All
good things come with costs. I will make sure we document both sides in the
draft.

Best regards,

Sheng