Ole,

> I think we in this context only should focus on the effects interface-
> ids have on privacy and tracking. the larger issue is out of scope for
> 6man.

I am not sure about your response. What I understand here is that if you
cannot track a node means then the node has privacy and if you can track it,
then the privacy of the node is in doubt.

What is the purpose of scanning here? Why is tracking a node important? What
is to be gained from a users' IP addresses (location information) if you are
not going to use it to obtain the user's information and then carry out
other malicious endeavors?

- I do think that it is because you want to obtain a user's information
which is in the upper layers. Or does one scan just for the purpose of
learning which ports are open which are not so that attacks can be initiated
against nodes via their open ports or attacks initiated against a particular
network?

In my opinion, if the purpose of your scan is the last one, then this is a
security issue. If it concerns users' information, then it is a privacy
issue. If you think that it is out of the scope of this group to deal with
the users' data, then it is probably not the right place to discuss users'
privacy issues too.

Thanks,
Hosnieh