I would not treat e-mail specially, but simply use a de-duplicating
incremental backup strategy that takes care of it like everything else.

I had a very smooth experience with https://www.borgbackup.org/ (FOSS),
using the provider borgbase.com (paid but reasonable, very responsive
support, they contribute to the software). It provides compression too.

best,

Tamás