On 4/18/18, Andrew Robinson <arobinso...@cox.net> wrote:
> IUP should not be the solution to every problem. It would be like
> incorporating a cross-platform C-runtime into IUP when that is the wrong
> approach. IUP is great as it is and for specialized problems it will never
> be
> able to beat a mature third party app, and right now my favorite app for the
> kinds of issues you are discussing is ØMQ (http://zeromq.org),  but I'm sure
> there are other apps out there that will do just fine.
>
> Best Regards,
> Andrew

I agree that IUP should not be the solution to every problem. But in
this case, I strongly argue that it is the correct solution because
IUP itself already took over responsibility for the event loop. (The
moment IupMainLoop() or IupLoopStep() were created, that ship sailed.)
IUP wrapped native GUIs and by that fact, it also is responsbile for
dealing with the platform idiosyncrasies they demand for their event
loops (in this case, multithreading rules).

This proposal is a tiny patch to IUP, one that nobody except the
implementors will notice. It does not break current behavior or create
any trade offs. But it solves real problems deal with the fact that
the real world uses threads, even inside the native platforms. If you
don't have this problem, then it doesn't matter because this change
won't affect you.

Thanks,
Eric