Vincent Massol wrote:

> > 1) I agree 100% that cross-gumping to illuminate such problems is a good
> > thing - necessary and valuable.
> > 2) They shouldn't happen in the first place.
> > 2) This has nothing to do with what I want, which was to make getting
> > the build going easily...
> >
> > I just want to make it easy to get the build started.
> >

> Why don't we include these external jars in, say, the nightly snapshots ? Or
> in a SDK version ? Then newcomers can download this all-in-one version. This
> prevents from including the jars in the CVS and still has the advantage of
> simplicity for novice end-users that want everything packaged. For
> developers, they use the version they want on their system, updating it as
> frequently as they want and GUMP always use the latest versions.

I just want to make it clear - I am not talking about the functional
jars that a component is dependant upon for it's operations and
functionality.

I am talking about 'support' jars that are needed for basic tasks like
running the Ant build script or making documentation.

Yes, having them in the nightly snapshots, releases, milestones, etc is
great.

But then the nightly snapshot isn't a 'snapshot' - it's something
constructed.

But I would be happy with this over nothing, although it in itself
sounds like a maintenance nightmare, and as I do this voluntarily, like
most of you, the less time spent maintaining, and more time spent
developing, the happier I am.  I *am* happy to spend time making it easy
for first-time and novice users (to which this thread attests...), but I
am happier if I can make it automatic.

geir

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.                               [EMAIL PROTECTED]