Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> Geir :
> > I believe that if you are depending
> > upon a specific released version of a jar
>
> Sam:
> >  ....Important bulletin: we interrup this quote to bring you the preferred
> >      completion of this sentence:
> >
> >          DON'T.
>
> And I believe you will state below that you want to 'gump' the
> automation of things with "exact versions" of dependant jars...
>
> If you are doing exact versions anyway, from tagged CVS, what's the
> point?  What changes from day to day?

I do not advocate early binding of any project to exact versions of any
dependency, from tagged CVS or from any other location.

Let me try a different approach.  The various jakarta-avalon subprojects
have jars checked into cvs.  Their build processes even default to those
jars.  However, they make it very simple for a developer to substitute
another version.  No need to modify any files in the "image" that you get
either by doing a cvs checkout or a download of a tgz or zip.

I do not advocate early binding of any project to exact versions of any
dependency, from tagged CVS or from any other location.

Commons will fail if it continues down the path of the Turbine tribe.

I do not advocate early binding of any project to exact versions of any
dependency, from tagged CVS or from any other location.

- Sam Ruby

P.S.  I do not advocate early binding of any project to exact versions of
any dependency, from tagged CVS or from any other location.