Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> The fact that Commons components are used (if we achieve our
> aims) everywhere people write servers, in every possible environment,
> means we need to be willing to understand that not everyone in the world
> is going to be OK with having to support Log4J just to use another
> component.

Just another data point - nothing more.

The Axis project is on the verge of making the same decision that Jon and
Turbine apparently have made or are in the process of making.

My employer's favorite web application server uses something called JLog.
You can find it on Alphaworks if you like.  We also want to harvest Axis
and other Apache projects for our own use.

What was first suggested was that we roll our own thin logging abstraction
layer.  Ultimately, it became clear that since you can write your own
appenders, log4j could be viewed as a standard thin logging abstraction
layer.  One with conserable value add.

Of course, one could try to make the same argument for logkit.  The reason
why I'm not predisposed to do so can be found at the following URL:

http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/gump/2001-08-14/jakarta-avalon-excalibur.html

- Sam Ruby