----- Original Message -----
From: "Morgan Delagrange" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2001 3:02 AM
Subject: Re: [SUBMIT] digester logging patch

[snip]
> Yes, if we can get consensus on Log4J itself as the
> abstraction layer, then to the rubbish tip with the
> Logging component.  As long as I can include
> reasonable debug information in my code and turn the
> logging levels on or off externally, I don't care too
> much about the specifics.  And really, all other
> things being equal, I'd prefer Log4J statements over
> the alternatives.

There is still something else that you might need: it is an very small
wrapper on top of Log4j so that your code will still run even for users who
do not have the log4j jar in their classpath. I like to think of the commons
components as easy to use as possible. If you begin to say that for using
such component you also need to download these 10 differents jars, it's
getting complex. What I did for Cactus (and users love it!) is to put a very
simple wrapper on top of Log4j (a few lines) so that if Log4j is not on the
classpath, no log will be generated.

The problem is not so much the size of the jars that you need to bring in
but rather the fact that you have to bring them in ...

Do we agee on that need ?

> - Morgan
-Vincent