I think retrotranslator only work on the syntax, but not on the 1.5
specific libraries (for obvious reasons).
A real use case was written up by a Java 5 web mvc framework at
http://stripes.mc4j.org/confluence/display/stripes/Java+1.4+and+Stripes

Once again, so long we stay away from non-1.4 compatible language
features of 1.5, we can always compile to 1.4 code anyways.  I don't
know exactly what everyone is saying that makes it convinient for them
to develop in 1.5.  But I believe majority of it are in basic syntax
improvements of 1.5 which are (should) fully compatible to be compiled
into 1.4 bytecode (although i could see a use of the concurrent
package?)

Looking at hibernate and spring, do we see them rushing into 1.5?
They do have great support for users using both 1.4 and 1.5.  Surely
it's on a different scale, different user base, and different type of
libraries.  But the point is they have a good compromise between the
2, and there is no branching, but incremental versions that adds 1.5
extensions on top of what they already have.

I think to avoid branching, it can come down to what 1.5 language
features are we willing to accept in the core, and anything-goes in
the contributions.  We do realize that not every feature needs to be
in the core, right?

ray,

On 6/20/06, Yonik Seeley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 6/20/06, Steven Rowe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Could not tools like Retrotranslator[2] or Retroweaver[3] be used to
> satisfy both camps?

That's an interesting option Steven... Retrotranslator certainly looks
like they handle almost everything!

If we ended up taking that route, we have enough 1.4 users that I
think it would be nice to have
  - a 1.4 compatible jar included in the distributions along with the 1.5 jar
  - an easy way to run all the unit tests against the 1.4 compatible jar

-Yonik