On 6/20/06, Yonik Seeley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

In any case, there is still GCJ too.  If GCJ supported 1.5, and we
could make a 1.4 library with Retrotranslator, that should cover most
users, right?

I just took a look at GCJ again.

If I am not mistaken: future support for 1.5 in gcj is ambiguous and/or will
be incomplete.

GCJ uses Classpath to provide open implementations of Java. It's stated goal
is to be Java 1.2 compliant by the time it gets to a 1.0 release. It is
largely 1.4 compliant. Significant for me, the swing classes don't support
all the Look and Feels I support, e.g. no MacOS LaF. And while it says that
there is some support for some Java 5 classes, I could not find an
enumeration of them. I would speculate that incorporating the concurrency
classes will be relatively easy since the cpj, on which Sun's implementation
is based, is public domain. However, I would also speculate that all bets
are off on the other classes as to when they will show up.

GCJ will be using Eclipse's java compiler as its new compiler. When this
happens it will have the support for the new language features.
Interestingly this is dependent upon the GPLv3 which is stated as being a
year away from being finalized (I don't know when the page was written, so
it could be some time soon) and I don't know if it needs to be finalized
before the compiler is released.