I too am very concerned with this issue and don't know what to say. My hat goes
off for Blackdown. But even if the Blackdown effort produced a working, native
thread VM tomorrow, would it support a JIT, much less HotSpot? Performance is
really bad and pure Java tools like NetBeans and TogetherJ don't run well, if at
all.

IMHO, the ideal situation would be for Sun to support Linux as one of its
primary platforms. I don't understand why Sun does not. It would help Unix and
hurt NT (After all, the enemy of my enemy etc.).

On the other hand, I would be very willing to pay for a quality VM (which passes
Sun JCK testing) for both my personal and professional uses. I would advise a
personal / commercial price structure (say ~$100 personal / ~$1500
professional).

Some times I wonder if the Linux community cares about Java availability. (Real
men use Perl) But Linux needs a VM which rivals Sun's in performance and
reliability. Linux is the perfect platform for hosting application servers and
can attract the attention of vendors and developers alike, but this is only
possible if a first class VM is made available.

Mike