Michael Emmel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> By   splitting the JVM from the class libraries via a  portable interface we gain a
>lot !
> I think  if development was split between multiple JVM's and a open robust class
>library
> we could get  competative support from  comercial and Open Source vendors.

Even Sun seems to make their class libraries
(i.e. classes.zip) more portable by reducing native
methods.

One of evidences of that is in source code of the object
serializer. In early JDKs, serialization routines for
array of primitive types were native methods. But now
those routines are entirely written in Java. I guess
that the purpose of the rewrite was improvement of
portability of the class library.

If we decide to develop a JVM or a
Java-to-another-language translator, we must implement
native methods in a class library that we adopt. It is a
very hard work.

Kazuyuki SHUDO                          Happy Hacking!
  Muraoka Lab., Grad. School of Sci. & Eng., Waseda Univ.