Jacob Nikom wrote:

> I have feeling that for Sun Java is more important than Solaris.
> IMHO they are targeting quickly growing embedded market to sell
> more of their hardware. This market is good place for Java and
> Linux, not Solaris.
>
> A lot of embedded and "real-time" software developers are looking
> into Linux+Java combinations to develop Intel-based systems. With
> Intel you have only choice between Windows and Linux (sorry, forgot
> OS/2). However with Windows you have very little control what is
> going on in the system and hardware-closed programmer hate it.
>
> I think IBM prefers to run Linux, not Windows on their Intel and
> non-Intel hardware. Intel is another interesting player in Linux+Java
> combination. They developed JMF1.0 and look at Java favorably. They
> run Linux on Merced and they have $250M fund for software development
> for Merced. Currently they don't have too many applicants.
>
> Jacob Nikom

Umm.... good points !

Running Java on merced will probbably be a big pain although I  feel theres
room on the merced die for one more instruction set  decoder  : )

VLIW and  Java bytecode  makes for and intersting combination.

But I think any attempt to get a commecial sponser for  the JDK for linux runs into
problems with the SCL.  I think a lot of compaines would be willing to contribute
but  I'm not sure they would want to follow the SCL any more than the Open Source
Movement.
Since they  are prevented from sharing any work until it passes the JCK.
The SCL to my understanding does not allow technology transfer between SCL licensee's.

If we could get a sponser it makes more sense to follow a clean room design.
Maybe with redhats millions from the IPO they  could sponser the  www.classpath.org
to get and open class libarary and IBM  and Intel could write the  JVM.
Japhar has a pretty good plugin api.  If they use that we could  "plugin "
the JVM of our choosing.
And open source one for hacking and hopefully some day production.
A commercial one for deployment today.

By   splitting the JVM from the class libraries via a  portable interface we gain a
lot !
I think  if development was split between multiple JVM's and a open robust class
library
we could get  competative support from  comercial and Open Source vendors.
This would be good  for everybody...

Offhand I'd say 99% of Java bugs are in the Class libraries.
About 30% of  performance issues are in the CLass Libraries except for the AWT which
contributes a 80% performance hit. Thus open class libaries would allow work on the
biggest performance problem the AWT.

If we have a stable good set of Class libraries with and open porting api  then I think
Linux will have as many good JVM's as X Window Managers : )

On the Sun side they should be able to certify the JVM and the class libraries via
seperate JCK tests. Theres no reason they could not exercise a JVM  via its
plugin api. The JVM  test suite at least  if done correctly should not require a 20K
set
up fee.

Mike