On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, Glenn Holmer wrote:

> It is with a heavy heart that I post this... IBM has just announced
> VisualAge Java 4.0 with availability in late July, and guess what?
> There is still no Linux version!  Wow, I'm so surprised!  All we
> *still* have is the incomplete and known-to-be-buggy 3.02 that uses
> JDK 1.1 with Swing 1.0 (gag me with a spoon...)
>
> But I'm not posting to whine about that; rather I want to ask you
> guys which IDE our company should use instead, since IBM is obviously
> not interested in license revenue from shops that use Linux.  We are
> evaluating JBuilder and Forte/NetBeans.  My impression of JBuilder is
> that it's somehow... I don't know, *quirky*.  It may seem strange for
> a programmer to rely on gut feeling when evaluating an IDE, but something
> about that product just makes my skin crawl.

Perhaps if you were a little more specific, we could remove the creepy
critters.

JBuilder is an all-java application, so it is very dependent upon having
a stable JVM.  You don't say which JBuilder you tried, but if it was JB4,
the bundled IBM JVM was absolute crap.  Replace it with Sun's 1.3.0 or
1.3.1 and the thing works great.

Borland has since released a port of Delphi for Linux, Kylix.  I'm
confident they plan to support Linux into the forseeable future.

I selected JBuilder for myself over a year ago because at the time it
was the *only* IDE which had a Linux client *and* JKD 1.2.2 support.
IBM was still in the 1.1 dark ages, and there was no other downloadable
eval for Linux available.

Borland seems to be on a 8-month release cycle, so new versions some out
regularly.  JBuilder 5 just hit the streets a few weeks ago.  The free
'Personal' edition isn't available for download yet, but you can order
an Eval version of Enterprise to try out.  (JB5 has a Sun JVM bundled this
time, no more broken IBM junk!)

--
Joi Ellis                    Software Engineer
Aravox Technologies          [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]

No matter what we think of Linux versus FreeBSD, etc., the one thing I
really like about Linux is that it has Microsoft worried.  Anything
that kicks a monopoly in the pants has got to be good for something.
           - Chris Johnson