Glenn Holmer wrote:

> <snip>
> definitely worth a look.  I haven't gotten very far with it yet, but
> what advice can you guys offer?  What IDEs should shops with Linux coders
> consider?
> <snip>

Well I've tried a number of IDEs over the years and I keep going back
to a simple text editor and build utility. At the moment I use vim
(for the syntax highlighting) and Ant. Works on both Windows and Unix.
Some people prefer Emacs and from what I can tell it can be a pretty
awesome development environment:

  http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-emacs/?open&l=302,t=grj,p=Emacs

Other people use Make instead of Ant but I find Ant easier to use and
it's extensible too.

I don't know why I keep going back to vim but I guess I have never
found those gui building features helpful and never had luck doing
complete code cycle stuff with them. Besides I almost exclusively
write server side code and not any Swing. Also, I use a Pentium II
266MHz laptop so it's a little underpowered for most modern IDEs.

This probably doesn't really help you but I wanted to raise my hand
and say that there are people how are very productive even without
using one of those bloated IDEs. Oops did I say that?

--
Chris Kakris          http://www.dynamic.net.au/christos/
ZDS Services Pty Ltd  414 Gilbert Road, Preston, Victoria 3072, Australia