On Mon, 10 Jun 2024 20:12:42 GMT, Jonathan Gibbons <j...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> This is what I've determined as well. I planned to leave these untranslated
>> to reduce noise between drops as well.
>
> While we do not translate Java keywords (when used as such, e.g. "`class` not
> allowed here"), and option names (e.g. `--class-path`) we have typically
> translated other text that is not mandated by the language or tools, (e.g.
> `the name of this class`, `<args>`, `<class-path>`.
>
> This change seems to be going backwards.
>
> Whatever the policy we use for translating (or not translating) parts of a
> message, we should be consistent across all tools and documents.

@jonathan-gibbons I just realized that this change to the German file matches
the file with the Japanese and Chinese localized files. By that I mean the
"backwards" translations are also present for the Japanese and Chinese files.

However, the previous versions of the Japanese and Chinese files don't have
these bits translated. So in summary, I can revert the German file back to
German but the Japanese and Chinese files will still be English for these parts
because I wouldn't know what to revert them to in their local language.

As a result, I actually think it might be better to change this German file as
shown in the current version of the PR just to remain consistent with the other
localized versions of this file. We can still bring this up to the go team as
an issue, but I think this is the best solution now for this drop at least.

PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/19609#discussion_r1633859027