On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 12:03 PM, phil.swen...@gmail.com
<phil.swen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to contribute some ideas to the Java language, not quite
> sure where to get started.... Do you have to be a member of the JCP to
> contribute ideas?  Do ideas require writing monster specs?

I'm a JCP newbie myself. Individual membership is free, but, you have
to complete a legal agreement and get your employer to sign off on it
too. I did that recently. Don't be scared off by the 10+ page legal
document. It is just for legal reasons so that you can't come back
later and say something you contributed to some JSR as a JCP member is
IP that belongs to your employer. Basically,  you agree to not
contribute ideas or code that your company has IP rights to. Pretty
standard legal stuff.

Seems to me (realizing I am recent JCP member myself) the best way to
get started is to find an existing JSR that you would like to
contribute to. Typically, the expert group is working on a reference
implementation in parallel to the spec development. Also typically,
there is a dev mailing list that anyone can follow for the individual
JSRs. I've started following JSR 310 and may volunteer at some point
to help out on the reference implementation they are working on. In my
case with JSR 310, there is a SVN repository for the reference
implementation that anyone can checkout from. Obviously, you have to
prove yourself before you will get committer permissions on that
repository.

Others on this list that are more familiar with JCP and JSR activities
please feel free to chime in with your thoughts.

Thanks, Van

--
----
----