The mediocre API of C# is a known turnoff and a perpetual annoyance to
the mono folks (because a lot of API isn't open), so using C#'s API
design as a plus seems.... odd.

I don't think many here is saying that more language features are bad.
A few were perhaps for a while, but the surprising response at the
devoxx live javaposse was that virtually nobody really buys into the
'java is perfect as is / we can only go down from here' rhetoric.

The difference is a  bit more nuanced, and just as the C# folk here
are preaching to the java folk that we drop our prejudices and have a
good look, you should perhaps take your own advice on this one:

I think people are taking a bit of an exception to the monkeyhouse
method (toss shit at the wall, see what sticks) that C# is employing
in regards to language features. Remember perl: There's already
anecdotal proof out there that the sum is LESS than its parts when you
toss good features at a language, too quickly and without thinking of
a sensible whole. Simple case in point: C# 1.0 was a virtual java
clone with different capitalization conventions, slightly different
keywords, and very awkward libraries, and a different runtime. C# 3 is
far less like the latest java, and the distance between them is almost
entirely from the C# camp.

I'm still annoyed that acknowledges oft used patterns do NOT swiftly
make it into the language (case in point, BigInteger/BigDecimal syntax
is evidently off the boards because of lack of interest. Well, duh.
It's a really simple change that absolutely no one is going to put at
the top of their list, but you have to divide the interest shown by
the impact on the language, and in this case, you're pretty much
dividing  by 0. Get with it already, sheesh!) - the optimum IMO is
C#'s laconic attitude to keeping the status quo combined with java's
obsession to only do work on established patterns, instead of blazing
new ground with e.g. LINQ. We'll let the trailblazing be done by other
languages; that's what a common runtime is for.