Phil,
Sun and the JCP aren't directly interested in new ideas to change the
Java language. Fundamentally they already know all the ideas. It can
be worthwhile writing them up semi-formally (if you look at my specs
they are not monster) and changing the compiler to match. See the
Kijaro project if you are interested in this - http://kijaro.dev.java.net.
Stephen