On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 1:54 PM, Joshua Marinacci <jos...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mar 24, 2009, at 9:23 AM, Michael Kimsal wrote:
>
> To whatever extent RIA tech (Silverlight, Flex, JavaFX, whatever) forces
> people to upgrade rather than offering them a 'less than current but still
> functional' experience, it'll have a hard sell against the growing
> functionality of 'native to the browser' JavaScript and associated
> toolkits.  Everyone should watch out for browsers that might start bundling
> some JavaScript toolkits directly.  If my browser came with basic jquery,
> dojo, etc, and could only have to dynamically load the extra pieces it
> needed, this would be even more of a reason to write for that platform
> rather than looking at the RIA space.
>

> No matter what technology you are using extra code must be downloaded to
> support your application. The code might be a javascript library or a JavaFX
> jar, but it's still something extra. That's why caching is important and why
> JavaFX hitting 100m downloads of the runtime is important. It means that
> there are 100m desktops that can run your JavaFX app without having to
> download the runtime. (100m was in feb, i'm sure it's 200m+ by now).

I think that may have been misunderstood.  I'm suggesting that browser
makers might actually bundle the javascript libraries with the browser
directly, such that no downloading of anything extra (other than your app's
js code) would be required.  That would (or will?) be one more strike
against external RIA tech.  "YUI is already bundled with FF4" or something
like that would cause a much bigger uptake in JS-based apps.

--
Michael Kimsal
http://jsmag.com - for javascript developers