On Jun 29, 2009, at 11:25 AM, Alexey Zinger wrote:

> I don't know if the jar duplication problem is that compelling
> overall.  Even several megabytes of duplicated jar's seems like a
> drop in the bucket these days.

It may be trivial for server side apps where an admin downloads and
preps the server and the app is only started once ever few weeks., but
it's a huge problem for the client side. Every extra jar adds to your
download and to your startup time. Modularity lets us to things like
only download a jar when it's actually needed, and only load up into
memory the classes that are actually used. Ex: webstart loads the xml
libs which load up java.io which load up the entire security
framework.  For a simple app this is way more classes than need to be
loaded and can triple the startup time.  Modularity will solve this
problem, resulting in apps that both install and start up many times
faster.

- Josh