I don't know if the jar duplication problem is that compelling overall.  Even
several megabytes of duplicated jar's seems like a drop in the bucket these
days.  Certainly it would take a lot for any serious product vendor to be
willing to relinquish control over the libraries they depend on and risk their
dependencies not getting installed properly on the client.  For years, OO.o was
shipping with its own whole JRE just in case.  I think it's only recently that
it's become smart enough to recognize when the client already has Java
installed.

And if we don't mind duplicated jar's, then having your own modularization
supporting multiple versions of the same jar is trivial.  I wrote this as part
of my own plug-in architecture for an app several years ago:

  160   public Module loadModule(Properties modConfig) throws
ModuleLoadException
  161   {
  162           String enabled = modConfig.getProperty("mod.enabled");
  163           if(enabled != null && "false".equalsIgnoreCase(enabled))
  164           {
  165                   return null;
  166           }
  167           URL[] cpURLs = this.getCPURLs(modConfig);
  168           Module module = this.loadModule(new URLClassLoader(cpURLs,
this.getClass().getClassLoader()), modConfig.getProperty("mod.impl.class"));
  169           module.init(modConfig);
  170           return module;
  171   }

That's the crux of it and it allows each module/plug-in to initialize in the
context of its own class loader, which in turn allows me to stuff different
copies of the jar's possibly containing different versions of the same class
into different modules.  No problem.

Where duplicate jars count seems to be the two opposite ends of deployment
spectrum -- mobile applications and app servers.  In the case of mobile
deployments, right now we have two options: Java ME, which is as good as dead
in terms of forward momentum, and Android, which solves the modularity problem
at the core of its service-oriented architecture.  And as far as app servers, I
suspect it's not a big deal for admins to keep control of shared apps and
employ whatever modularization they deem necessary -- if JVM comes with it,
they won't see a huge win over using an external modularization framework.

 Alexey
2001 Honda CBR600F4i (CCS)
1992 Kawasaki EX500
http://azinger.blogspot.com