On Jun 28, 6:38 pm, Steve <stephen.a.lind...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If an alternative modularity platform for app developers was more
> compelling than OSGi I certainly would jump ship, but it would need to
> at least provide what the OSGi core does now (proper component
> encapsulation, supporting multiple versions of the same 3rd party jar,
> runtime dynamism, etc.).

Multiple versions of the same jar is one thing I described in my blog
post incorrectly. Well, I said that was a core problem solved by a
module system but in fact Jigsaw doesn't seem to support it. It is not
needed for modularizing the JDK, but it is essential for modularizing
applications. I'd like to know a bit more as to how those type of
conflicts would be resolved in Jigsaw. The information that I have now
is that there are 2 different versions of a module in the same
classpath that would be an error, and only multiple versions would be
supported in different "application contexts" (which was sort of
Mark's answer in the BOF), but I'm not clear what an "application
context" means here.