I think a little history is in order.  My recollection is that in both
cases there was
a solution generated that addressed something that Sun either was not
addressing
(SWT -> performance,  OSGI->Modularity, class path issues, etc). or
was not
prioritizing high enough for folks that were trying to adopt Java for
commercial
usage.  In the case of the two module systems,   I believe a major
complaint that
the OSGI camp had was that in the initial working group they were not
invited
to participate.  if you want to engage someone and get their support,
best way
to do it is to make the solution part of their problem to solve and
engage them
for the concerns they may have with what appears to be a parallel
effort (which
appeared to them as an attempt to damage, hurt the effort they had
engaged in).