Bill,

Thanks very much.  In the end I realized I over reacted, and the right thing
was to take it down. I also appreciate where things are right now, i.e. in a
better conversation.

One of the things Dick said about this (paraphrasing) was that it might have
been different if I had a better experience with the community.  After
following Java Posse discussions for a while now I agree that's the case.

It can sometimes be difficult to identify business/political motivations in
technical discussions, and I think Dick also was right to say some folks
posting to the list were just trying to score political points. I would say
this was what triggered my over-reaction.

One thing I would like to say in terms of a comment on this topic is that I
think everyone recognizes the goals of Jigsaw as being valid, and I don't
blame anyone for being a fan of Jigsaw.  But many of its goals have already
been achieved in OSGi, and I would hope that the Jigsaw fans can understand
why those of us who had invested in OSGi before Jigsaw was started raise the
question of why OSGi was not used as the starting point.  I know that the
Jigsaw folks replied to these points, but I think it's also understandable
to question the replies, given the historical rivalry of Sun vs IBM over the
future of Java, and the use of OSGi in Eclipse.

Eric