That's some good analysis and I think you hit the nail on that one. In
some sense I think Sun went too far, by not thinking of a sustainable
business model - people like Paul Graham pointed that out years ago.
The benefits of Java has always been readable source, it is not clear
to me exactly how much was gained by going open source with something
as complex and essential. To me it almost looked like open source
became a feature by itself, even though that has absolutely nothing to
do with productivity and longevity.

Most other open source projects are funded through professional
subscriptions and services and or products which lives on top of the
open source project. JFreeChart's author makes a living by writing and
selling documentation, while the framework itself is free. Novell
pulls in money by i.e. selling a Mono iPhone development environment.
Also keep in mind the damage inflicted on Sun's competitors, i.e. how
Oracle had to stop charging for JDeveloper in order to compete with
NetBeans. IntelliJ IDEA manages to make money by simply being the
best, while having a fair price policy, but eventually NetBeans might
take over here as well.

Most developers are not religious FSF high priests, but realize that
at the end of the day developers needs food on the table too. It is
still not clear to me how Sun plans to make money on JavaFX, but the
sheer amount of resources devoted to this suggests that they do
(commercial RAD/WYSIWYG plugin for NetBeans?). It's a gamble I don't
quite understand considering the narrow marked, the hefty competition,
the new language and the late timing.

/Casper