I'll grant that C# is free, but M$ gets a lot of money for what they build.
Too bad Sun didn't get lots of money for all the stuff they built.

Yes, doing work on a feature is great for your CV. Most developers though I
would guess are super busy staying on top of the work they already have.
Spending lots of free time on these projects is then a personal choice. Many
don't have the time though due to family commitments or other drains on
their time. Some probably can't afford to give away their time.

Sun hoped that people would jump into the JCP and help change Java for the
better. Microsoft on the other hand dictates change and everyone has to go
along for the ride. Sun's process is more democratic but slow. M$'s is
dictatorial but fast. Does this mean Sun should never have opened up Java
and instead, just kept making changes and worried less about backwards
compatibility?

--
Robert Casto
www.robertcasto.com