Kevin Wright wrote:
> So:
> AWT = Abstract Windows Toolkit - Wrapper over native components
> supplied with java from conception
> Swing = Layer over AWT -  Much more power in exchange for more complexity.
> SWT = Standard Windows Toolkit - IBM supplied kit as used by eclipse,
> builds on lessons learned from both AWT and Swing.
> JFace = A richer layer over SWT
>

> SWT and AWT are both thin wrappers around OS components.  If the
> platform has acceleration then so does xWT.
> Swing has enough abstraction that is possible to avoid that
> acceleration, depending on how you use it.

Well, this is true for rendering standard components; but not if you
make some other graphic elaboration, such as elaborating images,
applying effects, etc... You need explicit support for that, in fact
Swing has got an OpenGL pipeline for that etc..

--
Fabrizio Giudici - Java Architect, Project Manager
Tidalwave s.a.s. - "We make Java work. Everywhere."