AFAIK that's entirely up to the native peer, how it chooses to render
- there shouldn't be anything preventing SWT from taking advantage of
the GPU. Then again, this topic is more interesting in Swing since the
whole UI effectively has to be emulated whereas SWT is using native
stuff which is already fast, not just when rendering but also in
regard to event handling and responsiveness.

There exists a group of people referring to Swing's vision as a pipe
dream and it's interesting to note that the up-and-coming language
Fan, is using SWT. Last but not least, try asking a visually impaired
user, using a screen reader, what they think of a Swing
application. :)

Btw. I'm not against Swing per se, you can do pretty much anything in
you have the time and skill, but I like the technical design and
simplicity of SWT (apart from all the int enums, but that has to do
with Java itself lacking enums for 10 years).

/Casper