The need and purpose for many of these decisions is to avoid legal trouble.
It is hard to argue with management when lawyers are telling them what they
should do to avoid legal issues. There is no flexibility when decisions are
based on that kind of information. I've known people using Notepad to create
files because they couldn't get permission to install a tool.