That's all very well for, dare I say, the likes of us who deal
intimately on a daily basis with all sorts of technologies at all
sorts of levels. We understand the dangers that come with unfettered
access - at least from a technical perspective - and (hopefully) act
accordingly.

Your average corporate citizen isn't so well versed - for example I
heard of a situation several years ago where an employee in a company
managed to share his entire company machine hard drive using an
internet file sharing client and had no idea he'd done this until the
new software installation was flagged by a software auditing package.
It only takes the ill-judged actions of one person (however well
intended) to cause the corporate IT and/or lawyers to bolt down access
tighter than tight and you can see why it ends up that way.

Personally I'm inclined to side with them - non IT-Savvy people do
need protecting from themselves (once took a call from somebody
complaining he couldn't access the company intranet from his WiFi
enabled laptop, turned out he was in his car 20 miles from the
network, no 3G data connection or anything - no, really).