This is about developer access to machines, not corporate droids in general.
 Computers and the internet are very much the tools of our trade, tools that
are blunted and crippled by these security policies.  The real problem is
not the policies themselves, but their indiscriminate application.

For example, when I was at primary school we had "safe" scissors that
weren't especially sharp and had rounded ends.  This made a great deal of
sense, given that children and sharp things are not the best of
combinations; it was policy that these type of scissors were used throughout
the school.

However, the blanket ban on sharp objects didn't extend to the kitchens,
because it's accepted that knives are the tools-in-trade for chefs and
cooks.  The very attribute that makes a knife dangerous is the same thing
that makes it useful.

When used at a developer level then computers are the same.  Their main
strength lies in broad versatility and a capacity to be true general-purpose
devices, why should this capability be prevented for professionals?

Carried to its illogical conclusion, a policy based on safety to the
exclusion of all else would have us all working on ipads, nothing but jelly
and tapioca in the canteens, and the lawyers driving such policy should be
deprived of their books for risk of paper cuts.

On 1 March 2010 14:11, Wildam Martin <mwil...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 15:06, Phil <p...@haigh-family.com> wrote:
> > Personally I'm inclined to side with them - non IT-Savvy people do
> > need protecting from themselves (once took a call from somebody
> > complaining he couldn't access the company intranet from his WiFi
> > enabled laptop, turned out he was in his car 20 miles from the
> > network, no 3G data connection or anything - no, really).
>
> What about a 2-day crash-course of general IT knowhow for every new
> employee?
> No technical aid beats good education.
>
> --
> Martin Wildam