I've been telecommuting for the past few years, but I have to say that
I don't know how you'd get a telecommuting job!

Luckily for me, I have a specialized skillset that has had employers
ask me to work for them. In that case, you have the option of saying
that you don't want to (or, in my case, can't afford to) move. A few
months ago the organization I was working for had to let me go, so I
was out looking for work again. I found several offers, most of which
included relocation expenses, but it was only the organizations who
work in my specialty that gave me the offer to telecommute.

So, the only advice I can give is to specialize in something that
people want, that most developers don't know.

Incidentally, telecommuting has some definite upsides, but the lack of
contact with coworkers is a problem. After a while, you miss the
social interaction with other professionals. More importantly for our
industry, you miss the opportunity to learn from your peers. After my
experiences I'd say that my dream job would let me telecommute, but
also have me come into the office for one or two days a week.

Paul