Independent consulting/contracting can be a sort of full-time
telecommuting, provided you turn down the 95% of positions that are on-
site.  This is a different scenario from what some of the other folks
are talking about, in which you have a single full-time employer and
work from home.

I've been doing this for a year and a half after leaving the full-time
editor gig at java.net, and it's only just been viable in the last few
months (I lost a *ton* of money developing an indie iPhone app last
year).  It really helps to know a lot of people through professional
connections, conferences, developer user groups, etc.

If you think you ever might want to go indie, it helps to set up your
LLC or S-corp years before you think you'll need it, and take on small
jobs where you find them. These can go on the resume and get you
LinkedIn recommendations for the next contract.

Those bid sites that DaveE mentions are a disaster.  Rates are lower
than what you'd make in the kitchen at Taco Bell, and a group of
bottom feeders has proven willing to post ignorant low-ball bids on
*anything*.  Check out the bids on this RentACoder posting looking for
a proof of P != NP, with a $500-$1000 budget:
http://www.getacoder.com/projects/solve%20p%20vs%20np_132036.html

--Chris