On 19 October 2010 12:28, Carl Jokl <carl.j...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I apologise. I am not properly trained to use these characters. I am
> still not sure what the rule is to use the spoken or unspoken
> character.
> I will refrain from using them temporarily until I am properly
> trained.

The trick I was taught is: ðis and þat (this and that), it's all about how
hard you make the sound.  You can make out the difference if you think about
it, still doesn't come naturally though!

> Also....Gutenberg was a big jerk! Not that this fact is recorded in
> history books. No respect for English letters. I note that the umlaut
> versions of the German vowels survived. That said The ë and ï forms
> don't seem to be used in modern German so I assume some eastern
> european languages or scandinavian languages must use them.

Noooo, I wouldn't got that far... Despite all the Greek/Latin/French
influence, English is still a Germanic language at heart :)

--
Kevin Wright

mail / gtalk / msn : kev.lee.wri...@gmail.com
pulse / skype: kev.lee.wright