Just a thought. If we seperated the Jaxen BaseXPath / JaXPath API into an
interface, say something like this...

public interface XPathEvaluator {
    public Object evaluate(Object node);
    public List selectNodes(Object node);
}

Then all the models (DOM, dom4j, EXML, JDOM) could have an implementation of
this interface, but we could also try implement the same interface using
Xalan and Saxon.

This would mean we could then use the exisitng XPath test harness to test
Xalan and Saxon against Jaxen - to see if there are XPath expressions that
we can come up with which are different to Xalan & Saxon. It'd just add that
extra check that our understanding of the XPath spec is correct.

Thoughts?

James