> Cool.  Xalan is part of our lib/ directory, I think, so go ahead and
> add your comparison test driver permanently, if you like.
> > A bit of after-work hacking going on here.. hope I'll be able to commit
> > all this bug-free tomorrow.

I'm actually not going to commit these test classes because a) you have
xalan 2 in your lib directory and I just converted some Xalan 1 classes
and b) Xalan 2 makes variable assignment such a pain in the **** that I
cannot be bothered.

It's always struck me as a bit strange that the Xalan guys don't
consider even the most basic use cases (variable assignment) and make
them straightforward.

One thing about the test cases: Your use of the context variables is
rather strange. You evaluate the "context" attribute and then make every
node the context node in turn.. which makes some tests impossible with
my fix applied.

For example,

<context select="/PLAY/ACT/SCENE[1]">
  <valueOf select="count(descendant::*)+1">163</valueOf>
</context>

this test will never work, because /PLAY/ACT/SCENE[1] returns 5 nodes,
and for each node the value of count(descendant::*) will be different.
Hence it doesn't make sense to iterate through a context node set.

What do you want me to do about it?

Christian