I had a feeling I would never sneak this through without opening a can
of worms.

Jason,

Why have a sar of jars and a separate service.xml ? You might as well do
as Scott suggests and collapse all the jars into one. Besides, if a sar
is not deployable (because it has no dd) and therefore does not
encapsulate a JMX service - why call it a sar ?

Scott,

I assume you are suggesting this is order that people can easily edit
the jetty-service.xml ?

Both of you guys...

I have been asked several times why I do not separate jetty
implementation and configuration...

I see the Jetty plugin as a module of the JBoss MicroKernel.
That module should be self-contained, so that e.g. you could swap out
Jetty and swap in Tomcat, or just swap out your web-container if you do
not want it.

If you just swap out the config, you are left with a load of classes in
your tree which you are not using.

If you are upgrading versions of a plugin, it is simpler to copy in one
file than two.

Jetty is still an independant project, with it's own release schedules,
and this is a useful feature for us.

As I preemtively struck in my first mail - "run the sar unpacked", if
you need quick access to the config. We could even distribute the
jetty-plugin unpacked.

I think that the sar is a nice encapsulation of a JBoss service, the
natural way to deploy services on the JBoss MicroKernel.

Why then are the chief architect and the guy who came up with the idea
no longer backing it ?

Jules