I still like the sar concept.

I notice that emacs can edit files in jars (such as ejb-jar.xml) and save
them back into the jar.  Anyone know enough elisp to figure out how to make
it edit .sar, .ear, .war, etc the same way? (I presume it just means
recognizing the file format/extension as zip-like) Then there won't be
anything to complain about having to repack for small changes.  For large
changes you'll be doing an ant build anyway.

david jencks