At 09:16 PM 1/16/01 +0000, you wrote:
>On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Paul Kinnucan wrote:
>

>> I've updated the JDE to handle environment variables in classpaths and was
>> planning on including relative paths as well. Both will be included in the
>> next release. Now, at Jason's prompting, I'll probably also add the ability
>> to include all the jar/lib files in the directories specified by
>> jde-class-library-dirs.
>>

>All of this sounds really great and may I suggest another related feature
>?
>
>One of the great things about ant is that it let you specify both
>classpath and extdirs. And dependent on wether the compiler is javac or
>jikes it handle them transparently.
>
>1. If it is javac it just uses -cp <classpath> and -extdirs <extdirslist>
>2. If it is jikes it appends all the dirs and jar files found in
><extdirslist> to the classpath.
>
>Could a similar functionallity be incoporated into JDE ?
>
>maybe a jde-compile-compiler-support-extdirs that should be set to false
>to activate option 2 above.
>
>And to be complete a jde-run-jvm-support-extdirs to do the same for Java
>1.1 (which do not support extdirs) and Java 1.2-3 (which does support it)
>
>Did that make any sense ? I hope so :)
>
>ps. The reason for differentiate classpath and extdirs and not just
>concatente them is that extdirs and classpath has differences in their
>semantics for classloading...

Thanks, this information is very helpful. It sounds like I need to read up
on extdirs. Also, what you suggest would require some way to detect which
version of javac is running. I have been thinking of adding a variable to
specify which version of the JDK you are using. Another possibliity is for
the JDE to invoke java -version at the beginning of a session  and parse
the result to figure our which JDK is in use.

- Paul