On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Paul Kinnucan wrote:

> >ps. The reason for differentiate classpath and extdirs and not just
> >concatente them is that extdirs and classpath has differences in their
> >semantics for classloading...
> >

> Thanks, this information is very helpful. It sounds like I need to read up
> on extdirs. Also, what you suggest would require some way to detect which
> version of javac is running. I have been thinking of adding a variable to
> specify which version of the JDK you are using. Another possibliity is for
> the JDE to invoke java -version at the beginning of a session  and parse
> the result to figure our which JDK is in use.

I would prefer the more "direct" control of stating if I wanted extdirs to
be enabled or not. Also more easy to adapt to possible future arcance vm's
and compilers..

The same goes with version numbers - there exists a LONG range of JDK
versions, subversions, platforms etc. that could be a nightmare to handle.
I would suggest the more pragmatic choice:

Variables that defines the behavior and then mayb some functions that
adjust those variables according to the different semantics for the
versions.

jde-run-adjust-for-1-3
jde-run-adjust-for-1-2
jde-run-adjust-for-1-1