Hi Bonnet,

Your question is pretty wide open and will likely depend as much on the
context of this application as internal representation. If your source inputs
and outputs really are java applications, then the first makes sense.
Otherwise, there undoubtably will be some additional context that translates
input into a java object, and vis versa on the output.

With regard to the XML service, same point. IF the context is XML producers
and consumers, this is the ovbious choice. A guiding design principle here
would be to make sure you are using XML as a communication and represenation
protocol (as it is intended), not as a data-store (which some environments
have a tendancy to do)

In fact, Having to deal with external representation <-> translation <->
Internal representation is a common design issue and most  applications and
their context will have to deal with these three things: each of which has
it's own considerations.

I know this is not an answer, but maybe it can help you find one for your
purpose.

jack