On Mon, January 30, 2012 18:11, Robert Hanson wrote:
> Ted, maybe you are missing the significance of
> http://chemapps.stolaf.edu/jmol/docs  Sorry about that!
>
> This is the official full all-inclusive description of Jmol scripting. Most
> people, I think, load that page and then use their browser to search for
> various items of interest. If you find something missing there, please do
> let me know.

I certainly was missing that documentation all together.
To my mind, the offical documentation was rooted at

http://jmol.sourceforge.net/

That did not particulary direct me to the documentation at stolaf.edu that I
can recall.
Perhaps it does and I missed it.

There is another issue that I think confronts most new users and that
is the relationship in Jmol between Java (and the java plugin provided by each
browser publisher), Jmol Scripting (with it's
historical relationship with Chime and Rasmol Scripting) and the
Javascript interface.  One can easily get confused when reading documentation
and you don't have a grip on which context the documentation is written for.

I have been spending most of my time in the javascript interface which I think
is documented at the sourceforge site rather than the stolaf site but the
javascript
interface looses most of it's power if I don't understand what's on the
otherside
of it and available in the Jmol Scripting context. It seems like two seperate
worlds
with two pretty seperate sets of documentation,  but to use the full power of
Jmol
I need to know both and I need to not be confused about what is a javascript
interface
method and what is a Jmol scripting function (if I even have that nomenclature
correct).