my mother used to sing ''o mio babbino caro'', a melody by puccini, for me
when i took a nap. it was my parents' bed. i remember those winter
afternoons, the winter light. my sister was born in may 1964, so i must have
been 2 or 3 years old! is it possible to remember something that happened
when one was so young? in any case, whenever i hear ''o mio babbino caro'' i
am immediately taken back to that old apartment and my mom's face;
everything comes back so clearly.

my mother's family was huge, 17 siblings, and most of them were very
accomplished singers. italians. they would break into song. i know it sounds
like a cliche but that's what happened. they could sing anything at all:
opera, tango, jazz. my mother sang ella stuff in spanish. her other favorite
lullaby for us kids was ''begin the beguine''.

my uncle hector was a tenor and my uncle eduardo was a bass. they knew die
walkure in italian. my mother did sieglinde and hector did siegmund. or my
mother would be brunnhilde and uncle eduardo wotan. i know how it sounds but
i swear that it is true. my mother was butterfly and uncle hector was
pinkerton. and then they would sing ella's songs in spanish. i guess that
today they would get paid.

wally