In a message dated 12/14/01 9:18:42 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< OK, maybe I shouldn't have used the phrase "middle aged music", I didn't
mean to cause offence, I merely was saying that overall I personally find NRH
and TTT lacking in the essence of what makes Joni's music great. Admittedly,
what makes her great is not youthfulness, bur her pioneering spirit. I don't
care whether she's singing about beach tar on her feet or pension schemes so
long as she finds a new, interesting, Joni way to say it. If you guys think
that NRH and TTT achieve that then that's fine, bur I find those two albums
staid and unexciting. I can't help that, it's my personal opinion and I see
no reason not to voice it! >>

Hi, Owen:

I agree that you should be able to speak your mind here. It *was* the term
"middle aged music" I found objectionable. I think that life in our times is
becoming horribly out of balance and shallow because of our culture's tragic
disdain for people who are no longer young. Because of that, I try to be on
guard about making disparaging comments or having negative thoughts about
people based solely upon age. People who would never utter anything remotely
racist, sexist or homophobic think nothing of making ageist slights. Why?
Because everywhere we look, we get the message over and over again through
the media and our culture that young is good and old is bad.

Who has more to offer humanity, Joni or Britney? Put them both on TV tonight
and which one gets clobbered in the ratings?

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, Owen, but that happens sometimes when
I rant! I have enjoyed your posts and look forward to more. In closing, I'd
like to say that I love what Mark wrote about this issue:

<< One of my contentions about TTT (which I happen to love) is that if you
haven't lived it, you probably aren't gonna get it.  You might, but probably
not. >>

Take care,

    --Bob