Steve Dulson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have to disagree with Victor and Kate's opinions about the
lack of character development in the movie. Just one example -
the was a collective gasp of anguish from the audience that I
was in when Boromir was shot. Obviously, *that* audience had
found a way to relate to the characters.

I did not mean that people could not make any emotional
connection to the characters or not relate to them at all.  I was
really able to connect with Frodo and with Gandalf, especially
throughout the whole beginning in the Shire.  But after that, I was
unable to really fall under the spell of the movie.

When you have read something around a dozen times and the
characters are so vivid in your imagination, I think most any
attempt to portray them on a live screen is going to seem
lacking.  I know these characters too well...every little piece of
dialogue that  illuminates some facet of their personality.

In the book, Pippin drops a small pebble down the well that
makes the tiniest noise but a noise that can be heard throughout
the caverns.  Gandalf is angry and makes Pippin take the first
watch, and then feels sorry for him and relieves the young lad.

In the movie, instead of pebble, he drops a skull and a whole
coat of armour down, that makes an obvious noise that draws
the orcs and the attack ensues.  It is these little differences that
made it so hard to be drawn into the movie version.

Another major thing was Saruman commanding the mountain to
attack the party which I thought was completely absurd.  You
might expect that in a typical "good against evil" movie but
Tolkien is so much more subtle and unique.  In the book, it is the
mountain itself that wants them to turn around and not let them
continue.  These differences may not seem that important but
they are a big part of the fabric of Tolkien's writing.  And
throughout the movie, he had a tendency to oversimplify things
and over exaggerate parts, I guess, so they would be more
easily understood by people who had never read the original.
This may be all well and good for the movie but in many ways, so
much of the magic and subtleness is lost.  Each time I reread
LoTR I notice more and more of these things and experience a
different journey every time.  To be thrust into a movie version
was just too difficult for me I think.

I agree that he did a remarkable job and I am glad that so many
people have been able to really enjoy it.

Victor in snowy Athens

It must have been a terrifically hard film to make, and I
think some of the action sequences went on too long - how
much screen time did the cave troll get? - and one or two
of the casting choices seem odd, but overall I think Jackson
did an excellent job.
######
Steve Dulson        Costa Mesa CA       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"The Tinker's Own"                      http://www.tinkersown.com
"The Living Tradition Concert Series"
http://www.thelivingtradition.org/