--- hell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Bob wrote:
>
> > I don't know about 'COMPLETE justice', Hell, but
> for me, "Being There" and
> > "The Godfather" are the only two books that
> immediately come to mind as
> > having been made into films that are as good or
> better than their sources.
>
> I seem to have started something here.....!
>
> Like I've just said in another post, I'm not in any
> way saying the movies
> made from book adaptations can't be as good or
> better than the book.  I'm
> just asking for a movie that's the same as the book
> it's based on!

I don't think it's possible.  They are two completely
different media.  It's like reading a book in another
language and then reading its translation into
English.  there are ways of saying things in one
language that can't be translated literally into
another.  A good translator will create a different
work altogether.  This is especially true in poetry.
Here's a line from a poem by Baudelaire, or Rimbaud
(sorry, I cna't remember which) in its original
French:
"Les sanglots longs de violons de l'automne blessent
mon coeur."

The English translation of this could be:  "The long
sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart", which really
doesn't do justice to the French.  The French has all
these long, sobbing "AN" & "ON" sounds (kind of like
"Ahhh, ohh, ohh" said through your nose!) in
"sanglots", "longs", "violons", followed by the
somewhat violent-sounding "blessent" (pronounced
"bless"), which interrupts all the sobbing and in this
case *sounds* like it's striking a blow, followed by
another "on" in "mon", then followed by "coeur" which
is a bit harsh with its /k/ sound.

Anyhoo, I'm being pedantic, but the point is, we have
two completely different items just with two different
languages.  When you try to translate one medium into
another (a book into a film, an illustration for a
story, music into words), you're missing all the
subtleties of the original.  In addition, most film
shows you everything - if you read a book, your mind
supplies the details of how a character looks.

I saw the film "The Colour (I suppose it's actually
Color) Purple" and I loved it.  THEN I read the book -
and I loved it more.  If I had read the book first, I
might not have liked the movie as much, but then,
we'll never know.

I haven't seen the film yet (LOtR, that is) but I
would like to.  This may be one of those where I'll
play hooky from work for a few hours and go to the
afternoon matinee version because I'm not sure if my
kids would be able to sit through anything that's more
than 90 minutes.  Please don't tell my boss - as far
as she's concerned, I'm at a meeting, and it's not a
lie - it's a meeting of souls, as it were!

In fact, it has been so long since I've read these
books that I've forgotten most of the details, so I
wouldn't remember what is true or not true to the
books - in this case, it sounds as if that might be a
good thing.